Monday, March 2, 2009

Tom Ford for Gucci: F/W 2003

This is my all time favorite collection. This collection is the very reason I fell in love with fashion. Tom Ford, who was creative director at the time of both Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, is still to this day my favorite designer. After his departure in 2004, which was heartbreaking for pretty much everyone in fashion at the time, fashion has fallen into something of a slump. Shapeless silouettes, uninspired design asthetics and sloppy advertising I feel is directly tied to that fact the there is no clear leader is fashion anymore. Tom Ford created and inspired trends. Everyone was trying to catch up to what he was going. Notice the white rose petals on the floor of the runway. And then for the shows finale, the rose petals began falling from the ceiling. I've never seen a collection with more romanticism or passion. This is what runway shows should look like. I remember just being in complete awe...it was like I was set on fire. I was transfixed. To this day, I have yet to see anything that even comes close to what this collection represented at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment